“People who have had little self-reflection live life in a huge reality blind spot.” Bryant McGill
Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice. Self-reflection is truly a humbling process. It’s essential to find out why you think, say, and do certain things – then better yourself. The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.
The first month of the year is gone, yes, January 2020 is over and will never be recovered nor experienced ever again. This is what has been happening in our lives with precision and predictability, in case you haven’t noticed. February 2020 is only two days old and in exactly twenty eight days, it will be gone forever. Why am I emphasizing this point, you may be asking, well, like the sand through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives. Like the candle in the wind, soon, you and I will be gone forever. I was born to remind you that you are a solution to a certain problem in the world and also to help you quieten the noise around you in order to hear your soft inner voice that is meant to guide and lead you to your greatness. For you not to be trapped inside the happenings of life, here’s my formula that has saved me by keeping me awake at all times and I have no doubt it will benefit you as well. Start by reflecting, that’s taking stock of January month.
- What did I plan? Write those things down
- What did I achieve and what did I not? Write them down
- What did I do to achieve what I did? Write them down.
- What didn’t I do or did for me not to achieve what I had planned?
These are the first practical reflection questions in whatever situation you are dealing with. Now, the following second set of questions should follow once you’ve completed the first.
- What must I do more of? Here, you want to double down or increase what works – beliefs, thoughts, habits, behaviour, etc.
- What must I do less of? This is to help you minimize your effort on what is no longer contributing much.
- What must I stop altogether? This is to help you crush or fold what isn’t working any more. This is to help you re-channel your time and energies onto something else instead of wasting time on what is no longer adding value in your life.
- What must I introduce to improve my results and life as a whole? This will help you stay relevant by re-inventing yourself and by continually honing your skills, keep you growing and excited.
For me, this is the best gift I can ever give you. My talks, coaching sessions and books are all around the idea of self-awareness and unleashing your greatness. So, if you really want to raise a bar in your life, you now know what to do, just follow the steps above and add your own flavour along the way and you will see and experience your life transforming. You have the power to live your dreams.
Veli Ndaba is a Professional and Motivational Speaker, Life-Coach and Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner, Author of three books (You Are Born to Win, Your Dream is Calling You and SWITCH ON!), Newspaper Columnist and Entrepreneur. To book him to speak at your next event or to help you and your team unleash your greatness, contact him on firstname.lastname@example.org , www.velindaba.com or +27 83 304 9773