“There are three things that a child can teach an adult: to be happy for no reason; to be always busy doing something; and to know how to demand, with all one’s might, what one wants.” – Paulo Coelo
For me, the purpose of life is to find what sets your soul on fire and let it burn you to the ground. This is something that gives your life a meaning. All of us have some motivation of some sort. I define motivation as the desire to achieve that which you believe to be worthwhile.
Many people go through life never getting in touch with their greatness because of the lack of motivation to push themselves or because they have not found something that they believe to be worthwhile to challenge them. There’s a poem by Thomas Gray whose part goes something like, “Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, and waste its sweetness on the desert air.” True living is about expressing your greatness. It’s when your soul is on fire and is being burned down to the ground.
Many people go through life without displaying their talents and gifts. Many who died, were never able to bring that which they came into the universe to bring. Writing these inspirational and empowering articles sets my soul on fire, I’m really burning to the ground right now and how I wish you could be seeing a broad smile on my face! It’s something I am always looking forward to, it’s my craft, not my job.
I am all about self-awareness as it helps you discover yourself. Now, here’s how you can measure your motivation? How do you rate yourself in a scale of 1 – 5 in these following areas:
- Mental attitude about yourself – Is it by Design or Default? – What do you believe is true for you?
- Physical appearance and Health?Do you really take good care of yourself? We cannot help getting older but we don’t have to get old. Many people get old before the time because they don’t take good care of themselves.
- Environment you find yourself in– is it desirable, is it conducive for your growth? Is it what you want it to be or you are just coasting along?
- The job or career that you are involved in?Is it fulfilling you? Some research have indicated that about 85% of the people are involved in careers and jobs they hate. Are you spending your 8hrs a day just doing time? What steps are you taking to get into something that will challenge and stimulate your thinking and that will give you a sense of fulfillment?
- Relationships. What kind of impact do they have in your life? Are these relationships nurturing or toxic? Do they drain you or build you up? These are the questions you should be asking yourself almost daily.
- Contribution to the world. What are you giving? What will be different in this world because you were born? So, what kind of a gift are you formulating with your life? Is that how you thank your maker for giving you this gift of life? Think about it! Horace Mann said, “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
If you still haven’t found that thing that sets your soul on fire, that gives your life a meaning, now is the time to do so.
Veli Ndaba is a Professional and Motivational Speaker, Life-Coach and Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner, Author of two books (You Are Born to Win, Your Dream is Calling You and SWITCH ON!), Newspaper Columnist and Entrepreneur. To book him to help you and your team unleash your greatness, contact him on firstname.lastname@example.org , www.velindaba.co.za and 083 304 9773