“Now that I am here, Where Am I?”– Janis Joplin
Would you be happy if you had to be the person you are today for the rest of your life? If not what area/s of your life are you not happy with? Is it your health? Relationships? Career? Today is the beginning of anything you want. So, what do you really want? Where is your home?
Home isn’t necessarily where you sleep at night. It is where you feel like yourself… Where you don’t have to pretend, where you can just be you. Most people know what they should be doing but are not doing it. Most people are into careers that are their second or even third consideration. The class in the field they wanted to pursue was either full; had no money to pay for it; the results obtained didn’t meet the minimum requirements or were merely influenced by others to take something different. Most people are therefore stuck in careers, relationships and others situations simply because that was all that was available to them at the time. This is more like staying in your cousin’s or friend’s home where even though you are told to feel at home will never genuinely make you feel at home. So, let today be the day that you find your way to your ‘real home’ and stop arguing and justifying for your limitations and unhappiness.
So, the following steps helped me got out of my cousin’s home to my ‘real home’ where I am free to be me, where I don’t have to pretend to be happy whereas I know the truth.
- Openly acknowledge that you are not happy with your life and stop justifying for it.
- Put down a detailed daily plan of what you need to do.
- Implement the plan and don’t look back. One way to develop discipline is to get someone who’s good at what you want to do and get them to hold you accountable. Socrates said, “The undisciplined life is an insane life.”
- Progressing is taking the next step forward and then the next one and so on. This will help you develop confidence, gradual happiness and gives you the strength to carry on. Surround yourself with like-minded people who are as hungry for a better life as you.
- This is where true and genuine life begins.
This is how I found my way home and be assured that this is not something I read about but my own personal journey to my happy home. I am certain that if I, Veli Ndaba, could do that, so can you. I am honestly saying this because I believe in your specialness.
Veli Ndaba is a leadership and Insightful Speaker, Life-Coach and Neuro- Linguistic Programming Practitioner, Author of two books (You Are Born to Win and Your Dream is Calling You), Newspaper Columnist and Entrepreneur. To book him to help you and your team unleash your greatness, contact him on email@example.com , www.velindaba.co.za and 083 304 9773